We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) pareve margarine
- 9 2 1/2-inch-diameter golden beets, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (8 to 9 cups), green tops reserved
- 4 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 4 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 6 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Melt margarine in large pot over medium heat. Add beets, onions, ginger, and lemon peel. Cover; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 6 cups broth and bring to boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer until beets are very tender, 1 hour. Remove from heat; let stand 20 minutes.
Puree soup in blender in batches until smooth. Return puree to pot. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice to soup and thin with more broth, if desired. Season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice.
Slice enough beet greens to measure 3/4 cup. Microwave greens 1 minute to wilt; place in blender. Add 3/4 cup soup; puree greens until smooth. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover soup and puree separately; chill. Rewarm both separately before using.
Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle some of greens puree over soup and serve.